This mix was made for a friend, and is centered around the Young Gods' cover of 'Ghost Rider'.
The idea was to evoke a particular part of the atmosphere of the song, and explore it as fully as possible.
It's intended to be a kind of gritty road trip through the dirty back roads of America - similar to Natural Born Killers if it was directed by Jim Jarmusch. Or Wim Wenders. Or something.
You can make up your own story to fit the lyrics and music, but I see it as a teenager running away from home ("America, America is killing it's youth"), who, after visiting some dark places (of the soul and the landscape), finally finds his home at the carnival.
I've only got an old vinyl rip of Swans' Love Will Tear Us Apart - sorry for the crackles. There's a similar version by Honeyroot at the end of the excellent UK film 'Red Road'.
- Swans - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Black Cover Version)
- Bob Dylan - Long Black Coat
- Seasick Steve - Dark
- Bruce Springsteen - State Trooper
- Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Well Of Misery
- Bob Dylan - In My Time Of Dying
- The White Stripes - One More Cup Of Coffee
- Chris Rea - Nothing To Fear (Excerpt)
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Taa Deem
- Tinariwen - Tessalit
- Einstürzende Neubauten - Ich Hatte Ein Wort
- The Young Gods - Ghost Rider
- One String Willie - Dark Was The Night/Troubles Of The World
- John Lee Hooker - Grinderman
- R.L. Burnside - Rollin' And Tumblin'
- Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Black Betty
- Tom Waits - Crossroads
- Tricky - Piano
- Jim White - Ghost Town Of My Brain
- Tom Waits - Gun Street Girl
- Karen Dalton - Katie Cruel
- Mark Lanegan - Carnival